ClientTexas A&M University
- 5,000-acre campus
- 50,000+ students
- 22,000 voice lines
- 35,000 stations
- The solution must be built on a VoIP platform
- Solution components must be standards-based (SIP) whenever possible
- The solution must be immediately deployable, but capable of co-existing with legacy systems for a gradual migration plan
Texas A&M University needed a Unified Communications Solution that would support the agressive growth plans of the UniversityOpened in 1876 as Texas’s first public institution of higher learning, Texas A&M University (TAMU) today boasts over 50,000 students. The 5,000-acre campus in College Station, Texas had multiple distributed voice systems. The bulk of the lines were Centrex with high operating expenses and limited features. As the University began undertaking $650m in new construction and with many of the key systems nearing the end of their life, it became obvious that a replacement plan for existing systems was needed.
Based on the expertise garnered from numerous Internet2 and VoIP research programmes at the University, Dr. Walt Magnussen, Ph.D., Director of Telecommunications, developed key criteria for the next-generation voice communications solution – the system must be built on a VoIP platform and the solution components must be standards-based (SIP) whenever possible. Magnussen chose Clearspan because the open architecture allows integration of other applications and SIP-based devices. “Additionally, the carrier-grade reliability and scalability gives us the confidence that this solution will support the aggressive growth plans of the University,” said Magnussen.
"Our experiences in the ITEC lab taught us the importance of standards-based solutions; Clearspan provides the openness for integration of other applications and SIP-based devices."
- Aastra Clearspan®
- Deployed on blade servers in redundant campus data centres
- Initial deployment of voice + unified messaging to 3,000 users
- Migration of disparate Centrex systems over time
- System will eventually support 45,000 users
- Carrier-grade, “five 9s” reliability and unrivalled scalability
- Built from the ground up as a standards-based solution (pure SIP)
- Centralised architecture provides capital and operational savings over hardware-centric solutions
- Complete UC solutions with unified messaging, conference and collaboration, fixed/mobile convergence and contact-centre functionality built in, not just bolted on
- Self-Paced Migration allows strategically planned migration based on resources and budget